On one of the genealogy forums, someone posted back in 2002 that "there are 17 studies written on the families and should be read by all researching the American Carruthers, and the number of other spelling used". I had posted a message, and sent an email, asking for the 17 studies to be identified, but no response was ever received. I will attempt here to identify as many studies as possible. I do not believe that my list necessarily matches someone else's 17, so this will be an informative, but incomplete, list.
Should you have knowledge of any other studies on the family that are not listed here, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to assist in making this list as helpful as possible to the family researchers. Thank you.
There is a lot of information on the Carruthers family that can be found in books that are mainly about other families. Many of these books are listed on our Library and Reviews page. You may be interested in finding those books also.
Here is the list - in no particular order. Studies also listed on our Library and Reviews page will have a ♦ after their listing here.
- Records of the Carruthers Family, by A. Stanley Carruthers and R.C. Reid ♦
- The Barony of Mouswald and its Barons, by J. J. Reid ♦
- History of the Dormont Titles, by J. and F. Andersen, W.S.
- Carothers Family Pedigree Back to 1600, author unknown
- Dr. Norman Carothers papers, by Dr. Norman Carothers
- Oakhill papers, author unknown
- J. V. Thompson research (as far as I know is unpublished, but people do refer to J. V. Thompson letters)
- Protocol Book of Mark Carruthers 1531-1561, edited by R. C. Reid ♦
- Genealogical record of the Ancestors and Descendants of John Franklin Carothers, by J. F. Carothers ♦
- Historical Sketches of the Campbell, Pilcher, and Kindred Families, by Margaret C. Pilcher (16 pages on Carothers)
- "Kith - Kin" of Samuel Burdine Dunahay and Angel Carothers, edited by Lowell V. Dunahay ♦
- Samuel McKnight Carothers research (as far as I know is unpublished, but people do refer to S. M. Carothers letters) ♦
- Bryson letters, by Thomas B. Bryson of Silver Spring, Pennsylvania, 1876
- The Small family - An Ancestral History of James Morrison Small - with allied families - including Carruthers, by James Louis Small
- Familyscope - Carruthers, Chambers, Headen, Horn, Little & more, by James Marion Horn
- Bible Records of James Carothers: born 30 January, 1792, by Margaret Baldock
- The Family and Descendants of James and Margaret Gillespie Caruthers, by Virginia E. Caruthers
- Byers families and descendants, PA-SC-MS-TN, early 1700 period-1999: Including extended intermarriage genealogies for Alexander Carothers, by Melton P. Meek
- Merrill, Wallace, Carruthers Family History, by Marilyn Anne Merrill Nixon
- The Potter family of North Carolina, Indiana and Kentucky: Descendants of Robert Potter (ca. 1700-1757) of New Hanover County, North Carolina: including allied families Long and Carruthers by Ragnhild Munson Bairnsfather
- The Ryerson Genealogy by Albert Winslow Ryerson ♦
- Emison Families of Kentucky and Virginia by James Wade Emison ♦