Fourteenacre is a small farm less than ½ mile east of Little Dalton Kirk on the road leading to Dormont and Dalton. Despite its name, it amounted to a 3-merk land, or a 40/- land. This property first came into the Carruthers ownership in 1375 when George of Dunbar, then the Lord of Annandale, granted to Roger de Carrutheris the £4 land in the village of Little Dalton, 8 merks of land in Holmains and the 40/- land of Fourteenaikerbank. Roger is thought to be the son of John de Carrutheris, who in 1361 as Chancellor of Annandale, was granted by King David, then Lord of Annandale, half of the land of Raffols that had formerly belonged to John of Raffols. This John is the progenitor fo the Carruthers line of Holmains. These lands in Little Dalton, Holmains and Fourteenacre first acquired in 1375, were the kernel of what was to extend over time to the substantial Barony of Holmains.
Early records of Carruthers at Fourteen Aikers start with John Carruthers, who witnessed a Holmains sasine in 1571. William Carruthers of Fourteen Aikers, also a merchant burgess of Dumfries, served on a Holmains Inquisition in 1583. Lady Homains kicked him off the land in 1616. By 1631, Francis Carruthers was the tenant in Fourteen Aikers.
On May 26, 1666, John Carruthers of Holmains leased Fourteen Aikers to John Carruthers of Dormont for 21 years at a rent of £60 Scots. By 1689, John Dinwoodie and John Ker were the tenants. In April, 1689, the Laird of Holmains mortgaged for £1,086 4/- Scots Fourteen Aikers to John Carruthers in Twathats, the ancestor of the Carruthers family at Portrack. (Twathats was part of the land of Knocks, the superiority of which was acquired in 1659 from John Crichton of St. Leonards by John Carruthers of Dormont.) John Carruthers in Twathats took possession of Fourteen Aikers as security for his loan. When the mortgage was paid off in 1710, John Carruthers delivered Fourteen Aikers back to George Carruthers of Holmains.